Vegan Crispy Tofu Pad Thai
- For the crispy tofu
- 280g extra firm tofu, drained and cut into 2cm cubes
- 3 tbsp corn flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp chilli powder
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- groundnut oil for frying
- light soy sauce
- For the Pad Thai
- 200g pack rice noodles, cooked according to packet instructions
- 1 bag beansprouts
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4cm ginger, grated
- 8 chestnut mushrooms, finely chopped
- 3 spring onions, finely chopped
- 3 banana shallots, finely sliced lengthways
- juice of 1 lime (and lime quarters to serve)
- 4 tbsp peanuts, roughly chopped (and more to serve)
- large handful fresh coriander, roughly chopped (and more to serve)
- 3 tbsp Mrs Bridges Chilli Jelly
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- sesame oil for frying
For the crispy tofu
In a shallow dish combine the salt, chilli powder and ground coriander together with the corn flour.
Toss the tofu cubes into the seasoned corn flour.
Working in batches, shallow fry in ground nut oil until crisp.
Remove from the oil and drain on kitchen roll.
Once all cook, lightly season with soy sauce. Set aside whilst you assemble the rest of the dish.
For the Pad Thai
Heat a little sesame oil in a wok or large non-stick pan.
Add the garlic cloves, ginger, shallots, and mushrooms and fry for a few minutes on a medium heat until softened.
Add the spring onions, beansprouts, cooked noodles, peanuts, coriander and toss together.
Add the soy sauce, lime juice and chilli jelly.
Lastly add the crispy tofu and toss together to combine. Serve immediately with extra chopped peanuts, lime quarters and fresh coriander to garnish.
Buy the products used in this recipe
A sweet jelly, made with chilli flakes. Ideal as an accompaniment to cheese. ...View