Sweet Potato & Nut Roast and Mrs Bridges Cranberry Sauce with Port
- 750g sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 2cm cubes
- 2 Onions, finely chopped
- 4 tbsp butter
- 3 tsp Ground Cumin
- 2 tsp Ground Coriander
- 1 tsp Ground Mace
- 8 Sage Leaves, finely shredded
- 400g Chestnuts
- 400g tin of Chickpeas, drained
- 100g fresh Breadcrumbs
- 2 large free-range Eggs, beaten
- 120g dried Apricots, roughly chopped
- 100g Walnuts, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp Honey
- 5 tbsp flat-leaf Parsley, roughly chopped
- 4 tbsp Mrs Bridges Cranberry Sauce with Port
- 100ml Red Wine (optional)
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- Salt & Black Pepper to season
1. Preheat the oven to 200c /180c fan-assisted.
2. In a mixing bowl, coat the chopped sweet potato in 2 tbsp oil before spreading the potatoes on a baking tray and roasting in the oven for 25 minutes, or until tender and golden.
3. Whilst the sweet potato is roasting, melt a large knob of butter in a small frying pan and cook the onions until they are translucent. Stir in the cumin, coriander, mace and shredded sage, and fry for a further 2 mins. Remove from heat.
4. Using a food processor, add ½ of the chestnuts and pulse until finely chopped and then transfer to a large mixing bowl. Now add the chickpeas and 1/2 of the roasted sweet potato to the food processor and pulse to create a mash before adding it to the mixing bowl.
5. Roughly chop the remaining chestnuts and tip into the mixing bowl along with the eggs, breadcrumbs, chopped apricots, chopped walnuts, parsley, spiced onions, and honey. Combine the mixture by hand, gently adding the remaining cubes of roasted sweet potato, and season the mixture with salt and pepper.
6. Line a large loaf tin and begin to pack the mixture firmly before finally covering the top with foil. Bake for 65 minutes in a preheated oven (160c / 140c Fan-assisted)
7. To make the sauce, stir together 2 tsp butter and 4 tbsp of Mrs Bridges Cranberry Sauce with Port. If you wish you can add 100ml of red wine.
8. Remove the cooked nut loaf from the tin and allow to cool slightly before serving with the Mrs Bridges Cranberry Sauce with Port poured over the top.