Individual Bramley Apple & Damson Crumble
- For the filling
- 1kg Bramley apples, peeled, cored and cut into thick slices
- 2 knobs unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp golden caster sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 jar Mrs Bridges Damson Preserve
- For the crumble
- 175g plain flour
- 110g golden caster sugar
- 110g cold butter, cut into chunks
- pinch of salt
- vanilla ice cream or crème fraîche to serve
1. Toss the apple slices with the golden caster sugar and cinnamon.
2. Add two knobs of butter to a non-stick pan on the hob and then add the coated apples.
3. Cook on a low heat for around 10-12 minutes until the apples start to soften. Set aside to cool slightly.
4. For the crumble, add the plain flour and golden caster sugar to a large mixing bowl.
5. Add a pinch of salt and add the chunks of butter in stages, rubbing it into the flour with your fingertips until you get a breadcrumb-like texture.
6. Fill 6 individual ramekins with a generous layer of the apples. Then add a tablespoon of the Damson Preserve to each.
7. Finish each crumble with a generous layer of the crumble topping.
8. Place the ramekins on a tray and put in a pre-heated oven (190c / 170c fan) for 35 - 40 minutes, until the top is a golden-colour.
9. Leave to cool for 15 minutes before serving with ice cream or crème fraîche.
Buy the products used in this recipe
Deeply opulent in colour - this nostalgic preserve is richly comforting ...View